Wait a second? Did I just read gut and glowing in the same sentence? That’s what you are thinking, aren’t you?
Well you heard it right. Yours, your family’s, your child’s gut is one of the most important organs in the human body. Why? I’ll let you in on some interesting facts that drive home how valuable this gut of yours is.
- 70% of your immune system is located in and around the gut, the GALT (gut associate lymphoid tissue) in fact. So you can imagine that if you don’t take extra good care of your gut, your immune system can and will suffer. IF you have immune issues (reoccurring colds, sinus infections, and most certainly digestive issues) you can then also conclude, your gut might not be in optimal condition.
- There are MORE neurons located in your gut then in your brain. Whoa nelly! Coined your enteric nervous system or the “second brain,” your gut really does have a mind of it’s own.
- 95% of neurotransmitters, serotonin, are derived from the gut. Serotonin is your happy neurotransmitter. Happy gut, good chance of a happy brain. Unhappy gut, good chance the brain isn’t going to get the support it needs.
- … and this is JUST the beginning.
So now what? How do I get my gut to glow then?
- We like to start with the core basics that Prescribe Nutrition subscribes to – eat the most whole, real foods you can get in your system! We say it all the time and we will continue to – The more alive your foods are, the more alive you will feel. Your body was meant to ingest food, not “food like” substances as our guy Michael Pollan calls them. Your gut knows it’s job and if it’s forced to work overtime, there are going to be some repercussions.
- Introduce foods to really love up and support health gut flora aka healthy bacteria. Think fermented foods – sauerkraut, miso, tempeh, dilled carrots and more. Here’s a fun link to fermented foods that kids love!
- Evaluate stressors. One of the #1 ways to tap an organ out, even the gut… STRESS. When you are stressed you don’t digest. You just don’t. Well not properly. That’s why when you are nervous, traveling, or lacking sleep you might find your digestive track waaaay off wack. Moving too fast or too slow.
- Supplement if necessary.
- Probiotics are a great way to up the resources when you’ve identified the need. You want the live a well though so a trusted brand is really important. We love Jarrow, Mega Foods, Metagenics, ReNew Life and Dr. Ohirra’s. Amount/Dosage: Ideal to take upon waking. Look for 10 billion cfu on packaging. **please note – best to do this with the help of a practitioner.
- A good fish oil! Some of our favs include: Nordic Naturals, Green Pastures, Carlson’s and Spectrum. Omega-3 or Cod Liver Oil are the types of fish oil to look for. Amount Dosage: We suggest 2 grams daily – pill or liquid oil is fine, morning and night.
- Never underestimate the power of good old aloe. The plant that calms the fire of a sunburn sure as heck can calm the fire of the gut!
Love the gut your with,